October 12, 2010

Big Bucks Bingo

Last Sunday Grandma, Grandpa, Boo, Peanut, and I loaded up in the van and headed to Lusk for Big Bucks Bingo.  Big Bucks Bingo is a fundraiser my Aunt puts on each October to raise money for Helpmate and to raise awareness for domestic violence.  This event brings a large portion of the Lusk population and a few people from the surrounding areas of Wyoming and Nebraska together for some food, fun, and of course to win "big bucks" playing bingo.  This is the second year I have taken Boo.  Last year he was much less mobile and let me tell you, not nearly as exhausting as he was this year. 
We picked up Grandma and Grandpa about 9:30 in the morning, grabbed some donuts and coffee, then hit the road for the two and a half hour drive to Lusk.  On the way there we talked about work, kids, and of course played the "what does the ___ say" game with Boo.  He was really good in the car but I knew we were in for a long day when we arrived in Lusk and he had yet to take a nap.
After a quick visit with the great grandparents we headed over to the fairgrounds to get our bingo on.  Boo was a big hit.  He ate sloppy joe's and brownies, played with a bunch of new kids, and helped Nana, Grandma, and me with our bingo cards.  I was worried he was going to be stained blue forever by the markers but it did eventually wash off.


 
I don't know how many people have actually spent an entire afternoon playing bingo but let me tell you, twenty games of bingo with a very mobile toddler and an infant is exhausting.  I would just get Boo occupied doing something quiet and Peanut would start to get hungry.  It was a non-stop afternoon.  Boo never slowed down.  He not only helped play bingo but made some new friends outside at the playground and got all wet playing in the tub of ice holding the sodas.  I couldn't have asked for a better boy but man was he tired by the end of the day. 


We said our good-byes and packed the kids back into the van around seven to drive to Torrington for dinner with friends.  The drive to Torrington let Boo take just enough of a nap for him to enjoy a really good meal at a new restaurant, Ben's Diner.  The eight of us walked into the diner around eight o'clock on a Sunday and were ushered to our own private room to eat.  The waitress must have recognized the frazzled look on my face as that of a mother expecting a hunger induced melt-down.  Along with the menus she brought high chairs, crayons, and a coloring page to help keep my little man occupied until the food came.
While waiting for our food Grandma and I took the kids to the restroom to change their butts.  Whenever I venture into a public restroom without a changing table it makes me want to cry.  If you have ever tried to change a diaper in one you know what I mean.  Luckily Grandma was with me but I am sure the sight was nothing short of comical.  My mom sat on the toilet, which was too tall for her short legs, and made a sort of slanty table on her lap for me to change Peanut.  We did have a little luck on our side as she was just soggy and did not have one of her rotten popcorn smelling blow-outs.  It was close but she didn't even slide off Grandma's lap.  We got Peanut changed and happy then it was on to Boo.  I looked to my mom, then to Peanut, to Boo, then back to my mom.  I realized then he was going to be even more difficult.  Grandma wouldn't be able to be a table for him while she was holding Peanut and I couldn't hold Peanut and change him at the same time.  It was going to be a challenge.  We decided the best course of action was to change him while he was standing up.  Let me tell you, easier said than done.  He was really good though and kept the wiggles to a minimum but getting all the bits covered that leak smelly or wet stuff from a toddler when they can't really spread their legs is quite difficult.  I would get one of his cheeks covered then the front would fall down.  I'd get the front pulled back up then his junk would start peeking out through a leg hole.  I finally got him put together and strapped into his diaper and we headed back out to the table.
The food was great. They had amazing burgers and Boo got his favorite, grilled cheese, fries, ketchup, and chocolate milk.  I think this will probably become the favorite stopping point for us on our way to and from Lusk from now on.
With full bellies we loaded back into the van and made the rest of the journey home.  I don't think Boo woke-up even a little as I laid him into bed.  It was a busy, exhausting, great day but I could have used another day off to recover from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment