September 26, 2010

A Busy Day

We had a busy day today.  Grandma, Boo, Peanut, and I made a trip to the library.  I have bragged about how good our library is before but I think it gets better every time I take Boo.  It must be because he is growing and learning so much everyday that he gets more and more out of it.  We started our adventure with a ride up to the kids' area on the second floor in the elevator.  The elevators at the library have glass backs that look onto the stairs; they have been a favorite of Boo's since the first time he came to the library.  Boo and Grandma headed straight for the books while Peanut and I used the restroom.  I normally wouldn't mention a trip to the restroom but it had one of the cutest things I have ever seen.  Inside there was not only a normal adult size toilet but also a fully functioning and plumbed kids toilet.  I only bring this up because I have a feeling potty training is in my very near future. 

When Peanut and I were done Boo was busy picking out books to read with Grandma at the little tables and chairs perfectly sized for both of them.  He and I made it part way through a couple of books but he was so excited he kept getting up to grab another to read before we were done with the one at hand.  After three or four attempted books he caught sight of the play area full of kids and was off like a shot. 

I have on several occasions specifically taken Boo places where I thought he could play and socialize with other kids because while I wouldn't trade my mom watching him for anything, I do worry about how he will interact with other children.  He has surprised me every time and today was not any different.  I was so proud of him.  He shared, he took turns, he even helped a little boy younger than him learn how to play with one of the toys.  It surprises me everytime when he does this well after having spent so little time with other kids.  I don't know what we, or my mom, are doing differently but I intend on making sure it keeps up; I have quite the charming little man.

While Boo was playing I had a free hand to pull out my camera.  I was only able to get off a couple decent shots before my actions reminded another mother she should pull out hers.  Now Boo loves cameras, he loves to get his picture taken so I have learned to be quick about it.  Once he sees the camera it is all over because he gets too close and all I get is close-ups of his little nose and his dimple.  When this other mom pulled out her camera Boo made a bee-line for her.  I thought I would have to grab him and our library adventure would be over but instead he went and stood next to her and helped her take pictures.  He didn't touch her or try to pull the camera out of her hands he simply stood there and told her what he thought about the pictures she was taking of her little boy.  She didn't seem to mind so I let him pester her for a couple minutes before dragging him off to see more of the library. 



Up next... a game of chess.  He has gotten so big since he played with the over-sized chess board.  He dragged the pieces around until he was so tired he had to climb onto one of their big comfy chairs to rest.  After a bit of a rest he helped Grandma with her bag and we headed for the third floor to look at some grown-up books.  He was fairly good on the quiet floor but we finally had to leave because I was exhausted from chasing him around.  I don't know how he does it but he always seems to find the cute girls to flirt with.  He managed to find two cute girls studying in the back and ran off to flirt with them I don't know how many times.



After the library Grandma treated us to McDonald's.  The treat came for two reasons, 1. Boo was on the verge of a hunger induced melt-down, and 2. to wear him back out in the play area after he was revived so he would take a nap when we got home.  He ate really good, better than he has in a while.  It could have been because we let him use his french fries as they were intended, as ketchup delivery devices.  He would dip his fry into the ketchup, raise it up, suck the ketchup clean off it, then start the process all over again.  Did you know a french fry can be used thus four or five times before it is so soggy and nasty it has to be tossed aside and replaced with another?

Once he was done he and I went to the restroom to clean all the ketchup off.  We returned to the table to find Grandma leaning over Peanut with a concerned look on her face.  "I think you need to make a trip to the van with her," she said.  I peered into her car seat and sure enough there was a yellowish-brown stain spreading up her purple onsie.

"Boo and I will be in the play area," she said.  "Don't have too much fun."

Peanut and I went out to the van to get her cleaned up.  I yet again didn't have enough hands to get photographic proof but I will.  I have to have pictures to show her first prom date, her husband, her children.  These are even better than naked baby pictures.

Boo was sitting on the platform to the little slide looking pitiful and trying to climb up higher when we got back inside.  Grandma informed me Boo had made a friend who helped him climb all the way to the top and even helped him slide down the BIG slide.  I don't know what I was thinking but I made my way to Boo's location and together we climbed up and up.  He played in the plastic tunnels a bit when we were nearly to the top then he made a bee-line for the slide.  He looked back at me, climbed onto the slide, sat down on his butt, and pushed off; the echos of his giggles sounding around the room all the way down.  Then it was my turn.  There was no way I would make it down the way we had come up so I maneauvered my way into the slide and pushed off.  It was not giggles that were heard as I slid down the slide.  Being shocked all the way down brought back memories of why I hated plastic slides.



When I reached the bottom I was exhausted so I let Boo go down the little slide a couple more times.  We dropped Grandma off and headed home where I was blessed with a few blissfully quiet hours while both my babies napped.

No comments:

Post a Comment