October 02, 2010

A Better Watch

I think I'm going to need a better watch. My maternity leave is nearly over. The last time this happened it was more difficult than I could have imagined. I pulled up to my mother's house with my beautiful baby boy and left alone and in uniform with a tear in my eye. I know Monday is going to be even more difficult, and not just because I have to go back to spending only an hour or two a day with my children. I have used the last week to try and ready myself for our life ahead. I have tried to figure out exactly how long it takes to get both of them ready, to put right Peanut's days and nights, to clean the house; I seem to have failed at all these tasks. I think it actually takes longer to get the children ready every time we go somewhere, if I get Peanut to sleep most of the way through the night then Boo uncharacteristically wakes up crying, and while I did manage to keep the kitchen clean and get the laundry done the rest of the house is sorely in need of some attention.

The past couple of months I have managed to get many of the things I have been meaning to get done. I am mostly caught up with the writing for Boo's Baby Book and have rediscovered my love of knitting. I can't seem to get enough words down on the page or enough stitches on my needles. I love the time I have had to create while watching my children grow and play. I will miss this so much but with work coming something will have to give.

Somewhere there has to be a better watch. A watch that stops time. A watch that stops the world around me so I have time to run after Boo in the morning while Peanut is screaming for my attention. A watch that pauses everything else so I can write or knit. A watch that sleeps for me so I can function and do the things I need to do everyday. A watch that goes to work for me so I can watch my children grow up. If anyone knows where a watch like this exists please let me know, until then I will soldier on and try to live on as little sleep as possible so I don't miss too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment