October 06, 2010

Back to Work Again

I have been back to work for two days now and Travis has had two days off with the kids.  I have come to the conclusion over the past few months of maternity leave bliss that being a mom is the best thing I could have ever become.  I have also had time to unleash my creativity which has put a sizable dent in the Christmas list, made some room in my yarn stash, wrapped Boo and Peanut in warm sweaters, decorated the kids' room, and most importantly made me happy.  There is no way I will be able to keep creating this much while I am working though, there just aren't enough hours in the day. 
Over the past two days I have put in around twenty-five hours at the store.  I have to say that a Monday after being gone almost three months is really a Monday.  I guess it wasn't really that bad, but it could have gone better.  I did remember all my passwords and was able to figure out most of the computer changes that occurred while I was gone.  Most of my team seem genuinely happy to have me back and the ones who are not don't surprise me.  People kept asking me if I was glad to be back.  I hope I was able to trick convince everyone who was asking that I was, or would be, once the separation anxiety was over.  The best part about going to work has been unlocking my front door to the sound of Boo running to me, giggling and yelling "MOMMY!", then bending down to pick him up and receiving the best hugs I have ever experienced.  There is nothing like coming home to someone who is really happy to see you. 
I am in no way surprised how happy and ready be home I am after only two, albeit very long, days but I think Travis is surprised how ready he is to go back to work.  These are the first full days he has spent by himself with the two of them since Peanut was born.  I wish and am happy to spend most, if not all, my time with them and while Travis loves them very much, he would be okay with having them in a bit smaller doses.  This is the dilemma of our family.  I am the one who makes more money but would love to stay home or at least work less and he is the one who makes less money but is happy with the typical "daddy breadwinner" role.  Perhaps we will find a way to make the restrictions of our current economy and situation to both be happier with our lots in life.  Until then I will put on a happy face and drag myself to work every day I am scheduled.  We can make this work, I know we can, everything happens for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment